2012. november 2., péntek

Wendy Cope: Message

Pick up the phone before it is too late
And dial my number. There's no time to spare
Love is already turning into hate
And very soon I'll start to look elsewhere.

Good, old-fashioned men like you are rare
You want to get to know me at a rate
That's guaranteed to drive me to despair.
Pick up the phone before it is too late.

Well, wouldn't it be nice to consummate
Our friendship while we've still got teeth and hair?
Just bear in mind that you are forty-eight
And dial my number. There's no time to spare.

Another kamikaze love affair?
No chance. This time I'll have to learn to wait
But one more day is more than I can bear
Love is already turning into hate.

Of course, my friends say I exaggerate
And dramatize a lot. That may be fair
But it is no fun being in this state
And very soon I'll start to look elsewhere.

I know you like me but I wouldn't dare
Ring you again. Instead I'll concentrate
On sending thought-waves through the London air
And, if they reach you, please don't hesitate
Pick up the phone.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése