2012. október 27., szombat

Agha Shahid Ali: The Wolf's Postcript to 'Little Red Riding Hood'


First, grant me my sense of history: 
I did it for posterity, 
for kindergarten teachers 
and a clear moral: 
Little girls shouldn't wander off 
in search of strange flowers, 
and they mustn't speak to strangers.  
  
And then grant me my generous sense of plot: 
Couldn't I have gobbled her up 
right there in the jungle? 
Why did I ask her where her grandma lived? 
As if I, a forest-dweller, 
didn't know of the cottage 
under the three oak trees 
and the old woman lived there 
all alone? 
As if I couldn't have swallowed her years before?  
  
And you may call me the Big Bad Wolf, 
now my only reputation. 
But I was no child-molester 
though you'll agree she was pretty.  
  
And the huntsman: 
Was I sleeping while he snipped 
my thick black fur
and filled me with garbage and stones? 
I ran with that weight and fell down, 
simply so children could laugh 
at the noise of the stones 
cutting through my belly, 
at the garbage spilling out 
with a perfect sense of timing, 
just when the tale 
should have come to an end.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése