2014. június 11., szerda

Nicanor Parra: Canto Primo

Midway upon the journey of our life
I lost myself within a forest dark
because I'd gone on to forbidden land

just thinking about it
makes my hair stand on end
a lion a she-wolf and a panther
- miserere di me -
gazed at me like they wanted to eat me for breakfast

what luck that the great Tomás*
came along at exactly the right moment
otherwise I wouldn't be telling this story

*Lago


(antitranslated by: Liz Werner)

[Tomás Lagos. Literary critic and friend of Nicanor Parra's. Here Parra is referring to the prologue to the volume Tres poetas chilenos (Three Chilean Poets), in which Lagos writes, "Hasta aquí nomás llega Neruda y después Parra". ("Neruda takes us up to this point and no further. From here on in, it's Parra.")]

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése