2013. szeptember 11., szerda

Mario Benedetti: Viceversa

I have fear of seeing you
necessity of seeing you
hope of seeing you
uneases of seeing you.

I have willingness of finding you
worry of finding you
certainty of finding you
poor doubts of finding you.

I have urgency of hearing you
happiness of hearing you
good luck of hearing you
and fears of hearing you.

So to speak
summarizing
I am fucked
and radiant
perhaps more the former
than the last
and also
vice versa.

(translation found here: http://es2en.blogspot.hu/2007/07/mario-benedetti-viceversa.html)

2 megjegyzés:

  1. Jodido does not mean fucked in Uruguay, Chile or many other countries in South America. This is an Uruguayan poet. Jodido in our part of the world means complicated, annoy, spoil, decompose, or undo. Joder is such a common word in our countries that can be use innocently with a child, with a friend, or with and authority figure. to a child: "dejate de joder" (stop bothering) In school, "that teacher is jodido" (that teacher is demanding) Now that I'm living in USA, I learned the hard way that in other countries like Mexico, the word has a very different connotation. Again, Benedetti is Uruguayan.

    VálaszTörlés
  2. Hi Ivonne,
    thank you for this note. The translation is not mine, and yes, I had no idea that jodido/joder can have such different connotations.

    VálaszTörlés