2013. április 3., szerda

Mario Benedetti: Pebbles at My Window

From time to time joy
tosses pebbles at my window
so I'll know its out there waiting
but since today I'm feeling calm
I'd almost say cool-headed
I plan to stash my cares away
stretch out and look up at the ceiling
which is a fine comfortable position
for sifting out news and letting it sink in

who knows where my next steps will lead me
or when the measure of my life will be taken
who knows what words of caution I'll yet come up with
or what shortcuts I'll take to ignore them

OK I won't pretend I'm a hopeless case
I won't tattoo my memories with forgetting
there's still too much to say and keep from saying
and too many grapes to be savored

OK I give up now I'm convinced
joy can stop tossing those pebbles
I'll open the window
I'll open the window

Translated by Louise B. Popkin

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése