2014. november 24., hétfő

Judith Viorst: Now I lay me down to sleep

If the mattress is hard, but not excessively hard,
If the comforter isn't too heavy or too light,
If the bottom sheet has been tucked in really tight,
If the temperature in the room isn't hot or freezing,
If the neighbor's cat isn't mating in the front yard,
If the neighbor's child isn't playing acoustic guitar,
If the car alarm doesn't go off in the neighbor's car,
If my husband is neither grinding his teeth nor wheezing,
If the blackout curtains are keeping the bedroom dim,
If I don't get a cramp in my leg or a sinus attack,
If I manage to push my ten thousand anxieties back,
If I don't think I hear a burglar quietly creeping,
If two-thirds of the bed isn't occupied by him,
If at four in the morning the telehopne doesn't ring,
If the Times is delivered gently, and no birds sing,
I might - I just actually might - do a little sleeping.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése