2024. szeptember 24., kedd

Leeanne Quinn: Eating Out

Consumed by a couple who sit in silence,
you interrupt me just to point out how

this particular pair eat without speaking.
She, head downcast, attends to the task

of picking white fish from its springy bone.
He stabs at his food as if puncturing

the air between them. While you,
dissatisfied, almost hurt yourself

looking past me for explanations.
There's something wrong here, you say,

not to me but to the scene unfolding
mutely behind me, as if you should get up

and fix it. As if their not-talking
is something they have forgotten,

something they have left behind,
so you can call after them--

half-embararassed by your heroism--
and disrupt their do-not-disturb

alliance, while I sit appetite-less
reading the menu, like a page-turner.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése