2020. augusztus 25., kedd

James Tate: Heather’s Man

     A man stopped me on the street and said,
“Aren’t you Victor Hewitt?” “That’s me,” I
said, “how did you know that?” “I’m a friend
of Julian’s,” he said. “I don’t know any Julian,”
I said. “Julian’s Heather’s friend,” he said.
“Heather Eston?” I asked. “Yeah, I think that’s 
her name,” he said. “So why are you stopping me?”
I asked. “Heather showed me a picture of you,” he
said. “Heather has a picture of me? I barely know
Heather Eston,” I said. “Yeah, it was a funny
picture, too. You had some fruit on your head
or something,” he said. “I never had any fruit
on my head,” I said. “That’s not something I would
do. I’m a serious guy, I don’t put fruit on my
head.” “Whatever,” he said. “Heather said you
might know somebody who could help me do a job.”
“What kind of job?” I said. “Just a job, you know.
A job,” he said. “I know somebody who could
help you build a boat. I know somebody
who could help you build a mandolin,” I said. “Very
funny,” he said, “but I’m a serious man, too.
And I think you’re the wrong Victor Hewitt,
or you’re no Victor Hewitt at all.” “I find
both thoughts very interesting, Bruno. I really
do,” I said. Hey, how’d you know my name is
Bruno?” he said, “I never told you my name.”
“Heather told me,” I said. “Wow,” he said, looking
like he was trying to entertain a really big
thought, “and I thought I just made her up.”
“You did, Bruno,” I said, “and so did I. When
two people like us work together, you see how
powerful that can be. I’m definitely interested
in working with you on that job. What are we
going to do, free mice from a lab?” “You’re
beautiful!” he said, laughing, while nearly
suffocating me with his fraternal bear hug.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése