2021. február 11., csütörtök

Chad Frame: Smoking Shelter

Outside the hospice ward of the VA Medical Center in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania


Easter, and the glass enclosure’s clouded 

like a rheumy eye. Old men are smoking,

wheezing in their service hats and wheelchairs.

We’ve brought my father’s dog. I know it’s not 

a man’s dog, he announces, chihuahua

resting on the blue quilt draped on his lap.

That’s a great dog anyway, says Cecil, 

his rumbling basso hoarse with settled phlegm. 

Looks about the right size for a football.

We lost our last one. What starts as laughter

in both throats turns to rasping, then wet coughs,

echoes from a deep well. My father says,

I hear come October we’re not allowed

to smoke here anymore. He looks at me. 

You’ll get me out of here before then, right?

But before I can answer, another 

chair-bound man slowly scoots over to us, 

tells my father, You look just like Jesus. 

I guess I can see it. The hair, the beard, 

the starvation, sallow skin, scroll parchment

stretched thinly over wooden finials.

You suffer like he did, he continues.

But I can’t heal you guys, my father says.

I wish I could. Another coughing fit.

You need something? my mother asks, reaching 

in her purse. Yeah, he says, wiping his mouth 

with a trembling hand. An Enditol pill.

I wonder, What will be your last pleasure?

A parking lot view, a few puffs, warm breeze, 

smelling secondhand gas station chicken? 

He is risen, and I realize each thing 

opens at its own pace—our hearts, the first 

spring blooms, church-bound women in yellow hats.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése