2022. február 11., péntek

Sharry Wright: Looking in

We live inside a house of many windows

where strangers walking by can see

our life of scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes,

of crossword puzzles and the empty nest

that is my hair. They watch us eating artichokes,

scraping bits of flesh from the base of the leaf

with our bottom teeth, the empty bowl

filling up with what remains. The trick,

my father told me before dying, is to keep on

breathing, and he did until the tumor

in his lung squeezed his heart wide open.

I think of all the lost hours of my life,

pockets full of maps I’ve drawn

on napkins; all the places that I meant to go,

forgotten in the closet. No one wants

to be a ghost, to wander in a world where

no one sees you. I tell myself that walking

barefoot is a kind of prayer, feet to earth,

breathing, lungs to air, even better, in the rain,

water on your skin. At night, we light a candle

so the strangers can still see us in the dark.


Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése