2023. március 31., péntek

Iván Palacios Ocaña: One day, around 5

When I had finished the broth
the owner of the food stall came up to me.
I looked like a hungry man to her,
but I’m really just a sad and skinny one:

“If you want, you can order the main course,
young man. Don’t worry about the money.” I thanked her, embarrassed.
I didn’t want to be rude,
but the melancholy mammal I am eats just enough to not faint.

Outside,
the wind
knocked over a little metal sign.

The noise turned our heads and we saw that it was raining
on the opposite corner,
but not on ours.

The daughter of one of the cooks
went running to make sure
we weren’t dreaming. I followed her.
So did the owner, the cooks,
and the customers who were still around.
We stood there for two or three minutes, dry
watching the rain.

--translated by Noha Mazer

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése