2023. január 6., péntek

Judith Viorst: So My Husband and I Decided to Take a Car Trip Through New England

Even if I had a Ph.D. in psychology,

Even if I were a diplomatic whiz,

Even if I were Queen of the charmers and more irresistibly sexual

Than whoever the current reigning sexpot is,

And even if I had a fortune to squander on payoffs,

And even if I had Mafia connections,

It still would be impossible to persuade my husband, when lost,


To stop - please stop - the car, and ask for directions.

Even if I were collapsing from thirst and from hunger,

Even if I were reduced to darkest gloom,

Even if I observed, between sobs, that we should have arrived three hours ago,

And the inn was going to give away our room,

And even if I revived all my marital grievances:

Old hurts and humiliations and rejections,

It still would be impossible to persuade my husband, when lost,

To stop - just stop - the car, and ask for directions.


Even if I were to throw a full-scale temper tantrum,

Even if I were to call him an uncouth name,

Even if I were to not-so-gently suggest that should we wind up getting divorced,

He would have nobody else but himself to blame,

And even if I, in a tone I concede is called screaming,

Enumerated his countless imperfections,

It still would be impossible to persuade my husband, when lost,

To stop the goddamn car, and ask for directions.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése